AUSTRALIAN BUSINESS NUMBER
The Australian Business Number (ABN) provides a single identifier when dealing with the tax office or other government departments and agencies. For example, it would help if you had an ABN when interacting with the ATO regarding:
- GST (eg to claim GST credits)
- The Diesel and Alternative Fuels Grants Scheme
- Luxury Car Tax
- Wine Equalisation Tax
- Applying for an endorsement as a deductible gift recipient
- Applying for an endorsement as an income tax exempt charity
NOTE: You can also use an ABN to interact with the ATO on the PAYG system and Fringe Benefits Tax.
In addition, to be eligible for an ABN, you must be an Australian company registered under Corporations Law or a business entity carrying on an enterprise in Australia. You will need an ABN and GST Registration if:
- Your GST turnover is $75, 000 or more
- You are a nonprofit organisation with a GST turnover of $150, 000 or more
- You need to be endorsed as a gift deductible recipient
- You need to be endorsed as an income tax exempt charity
MORE: See the ABN Essentials section of the ATO website.